This is a position for the Neighbourhood Care Scheme (NCS).
NCS volunteers support older people and people with physical or sensory disabilities who are largely confined to their own homes and thus at risk of social isolation. Volunteers are supported by our team. As a home visitor, you can carry out a variety of tasks. You can do as many or as few as you wish, as long as you feel happy and competent in carrying them out.
- Befriending/social visiting
- Small repairs/DIY (excluding electrical work)
- Small decorating tasks
- Company on walks/outings (including wheelchair escorting)
- Dog walking
- Playing games
- Reading aloud
- Help with form filling
- Supporting a carer
Volunteers with the NCS are not asked to carry out tasks essential to a person’s basic survival such as personal care, medical care, regular domestic work, and regular shopping.
Where and when you visit is largely down to you as a volunteer. A particular feature of the scheme is its neighbourhood focus, so we will try and match you with someone local to you. You can find out where the scheme currently operates on our Neighbourhoods + Map page.
Our volunteers should be:
- Personable and able to relate well to older or physically disabled people
- Sensitive to people’s needs and feelings
- Able to act in accordance with the Scheme’s Equal Opportunities Policy
- Able to appreciate and fulfil the health and safety aspect of volunteering
- Courteous and non-patronising in their volunteer work
- Willing to assist their Volunteer Co-ordinator in monitoring the scheme
- Competent to carry out the tasks assigned to him/her by their Volunteer Co-ordinator
Flexible (average time is 1-2 hours a week), we hope you would be able to commit for at least 6 months
If you are interested, please contact Susan Alderson on:
Telephone: 01273 775888